From: Shailendra Mishra
To: John Lyell ; Dorine Pratt ; celts
Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2001 10:23 AM
Subject: Re: Pitino

I don't agree with some of your conclusions:
We didn't have 12 years of drought..hey Chris Ford had taken teams to 1st or 2nd round of playoffs..we would be very happy to accomplish some of those goals now. Yes we did not go to championship game  but lottery to Championship takes time (look at the lakers even with Shaq they made it to the Championship only last season).

Regarding marketable commodities who do we have, with the exception of Walker and Pierce. Pitino drafted Pierce but the Walker move was engineered by ML and he shoud be given credit for it. Needless to say that Billups & Mercer could have been marketable but he gave them away. I doubt if we can aquire both of them (without giving away Walker & Pierce) even if we are willing to throw all the 3 first round picks that we have.

Now about Fox & Wesley, both of them are still playing in the NBA and contributing. Can you say that KA is a better pg than David Wesley ? I would take Wesley over KA every time. Coming to Fox, he was a good defender and could create match up problems because he played several positions. He was/is far superior to any talent that RP aquired through his haphazard trading ways.

Pitino should return some of the money that the Celtics paid him, which will enable them to trade some of his mistakes away. He has done irreparable damage to the Celtics cap with his total inability to evaluat and analyze talent. Realize this that KA has another 19 mill coming his way in two years and there is no team who would take him even if we pay half his salary. - Mishra

  John Lyell <johnlyell@hotmail.com> wrote:

It is easy to dog Pitino now, but we had about 12 years of drought before he came, and at least we have marketable commodities which I am not sure we could say before he arrived. His talent evaluation was one of his weaknesses but at least he was not afraid to pull the trigger to try and better the team. The likes of Rick Fox, David Wesley, Dee Brown weren't going to take us anywhere. Time to forget about him and move on. He could have made the Celtics fire him and pay the huge remaining balance in his contract.

John