Re: Refs

In a message dated 02/07/2001 11:33:48 AM Pacific Standard Time,
simon@jkean.freeserve.co.uk writes:

>  I don't hold any respect for most NBA officials these days

     I don't know enough about the rules to be very good on this, but it
strikes me as a game that is close to impossible to referee.  You have a
relatively confined space and ten fast men running around, many of them near
the ball.  There are 20 feet you have to watch, 20 arms a'pushin',   There
are lines all over the court you have to watch; who can take three seconds to
count to see if there is a 3-second violation?  What's a block and what's a
charge?  Whoever "has position?"  That is a micor-split-second call, and you
have to be watching the feet, I would guess.
     Given that, I would think that the refs are doing as good a job as one
could hope, with one exception:  I think rules are soft on traveling, but
that's also tough to call, even if they enforce it.