Bob Ryan On The Highly Flawed Celtics

Personally, I'd rather see the Celtics end up with the first or
second pick in the draft and get the franchise center/point guard they
need to at least try to compete with Evil Shaq and the Lakers. I'm
afraid this
present and future configuration of Celtics is doomed to first and
second round
playoff eliminations. Any ways, it's a nice summation by Bob.

Close, but no cigars are likely

By Bob Ryan, Globe Columnist, 12/25/2001

You'd have to be at least 18 years of age to have any vague idea what
it's like.

 This would make you 3 or so in June 1986, when the Celtics brought
Greater Boston (and New England) that special glow that comes with
winning a North American professional sports championship. Granted, 3 is
a stretch. You probably would have to be 20, 21, or 22 to have a decent
memory of a town galvanized by a team, of a parade, and of the general
euphoria that has even casual folk not ordinarily moved by sport saying,
''Hey, how 'bout those [in this case] Celtics?''

Since 1986, we've only had four teams - the '87 Celtics, the '88 and '90
Bruins, and the '96 Patriots - even reach a league Finals. For those of
you scoring at home, the non-Celtics droughts are 29 years (Bruins), 83
years (Red Sox), and forever (Patriots).

So the thing to do as we assess the State of the Teams is rank them in
ascending order of championship readiness. Are any of our lads even
close?

4. CELTICS

We might as well face facts. Until Shaquille O'Neal retires, the Celtics
are one of the many teams that have no chance to win a title.

Yes, they are better. We might actually have an NBA playoff game at the
FleetCenter. If you haven't been there for a while, you might consider
buying a ticket. When things are going well, which is to say when the
3-pointers are falling and Antoine Walker has a team he can hurt from
the inside, they can be dangerous. You've got to like their new
commitment to defense and their swagger on the road.

Paul Pierce is a major keeper. He is a fascinating combination of the
old and new, mixing 1950s Dolph Schayes-like get-to-the-line moxie (any
chance Paul's ever heard of him?) with modern athleticism. As for
Walker, he will continue to delight and infuriate in equal measure. This
is Year 6. He is maturing slowly, but, basically, he is what he is.

Joe Johnson was a nice draft pick, but he must fight through his highly
deferential personality to become the player he can be. And give the
coach an A. Jim O'Brien gets all there is to get out of a highly flawed
bunch.