News from LA

      Front page of today's LA Times has a story that Laker announcer Chick
Hearn's string of 3,338 consecutive games behind the mike is over as he
starts recovery from coronary surgery.   Hearn, thought to be about 85, last
missed a game in November 1965 when he was stranded in Arkansas by a
snowstorm.  Hearn had gone 13 seasons without missing a game when Kobe Bryant
was born.
      I have listened to my share of Laker games in the 25 years I have lived
here, and Chick is a good announcer.   All Boston fans should tip their hats
to this guy who goes back to the Russell years during the height of the
Celtic-Laker rivalry.  Remember the year he and Johnny Most split the
announcing job at the All-Star Game?