Re: Ugh

----- Original Message ----- From: "Josh Ozersky" <jozersky1@nyc.rr.com>

> Mark raises a very legit point here.  I didn't see the game, but
> I can't believe we can't manage more than 35 rebounds as a team.
> I can't imagine what could have accounted for this, other than the
> team being overawed by the Sixers, and rolling over as teams used
> to do against us, or against the Bulls.

In my opinion, the Celtics improved rebounding is a direct result of their
improved defense.  Most rebounds are defensive rebounds, so if you make a
team miss more shots, you will get more rebounds.  Conversely, if you shoot
a higher percentage, you will give up fewer rebounds.  In the game you
mention, Philly shot 53% to the Celtics' 39%.  The Celtics missed 49 shots
and the Sixers 31.  If you're going to do that, you're going to need an
awful lot of offensive rebounds to keep up on the glass (9 more than Philly,
in this case).

Jim