More on Haywood

Last post about this, but this story was in the Washington Post today, so
I'm not the only one noticing...

Mark

Dallas Mavericks Coach Don Nelson, whose team had been dunked on for three
quarters Saturday night by Washington Wizards center Brendan Haywood, said
the rookie big man was the difference in the outcome, not Michael Jordan's
fourth-quarter heroics.
"They have quite a catch in him," Nelson said.
Don't the Wizards know it.
Teams have been calling, trying to acquire the 7-footer from North Carolina.
The Wizards say Haywood, who has already been traded by Cleveland and
Orlando in his young professional career, is unavailable.
The Wizards (7-12), who gave up reserve guard Laron Profit and a future
first-rounder to the Magic for Haywood, find themselves with a player who
has created a buzz through the league in only seven games. He missed the
first 12 games with torn ligaments in his left thumb.
"Brendan is a good anchor back there," Wizards Coach Doug Collins said. "He
really has a good grasp defensively. He can really jump out on the
screen-roll and get himself back into the play. The one thing that we'd like
to be able to do, especially with Brendan, is get him where he can catch the
ball on the block and be able to make a move, use the jump hook or jump shot
on the baseline that he does so well.
"With his growth, hopefully, there will be some point and time where we can
use him as an offensive weapon, rather than Michael."
It's been many a year since there has been this much talent and promise in
the middle for the Washington franchise. Haywood has blocked 10 shots,
altered several others and has steadily developed a complementary offensive
game. Haywood scored a season-high 19 points against the Mavericks, 12 on
dunks.
"It's a great opportunity for me," said Haywood, who is averaging 8.9
points, 6.1 rebounds and 25.3 minutes. "I just have to be smart and take
good shots."
Haywood will continue playing as a reserve. Beefy starter Jahidi White has
allowed Collins and his staff to employ a boxing-like strategy. Soften up
the middle with White early, then finesse it for a lengthy stretch in the
middle with Haywood and let scorers Richard Hamilton and Jordan deliver the
knockout blows late.
In the Wizards' past two victories, White and Haywood have combined for 30
points, 26 rebounds and 7 blocks.
"Coach is doing a good job working us both in. He knows what he's doing,"
said White, who is averaging 17.4 minutes, 4.5 points, 5.2 rebounds and .94
blocks. "I go out there to start things off and get the physical thing
going, hustle for rebounds, then Brendan goes out there and gives us a great
offensive game. Right now, we're meshing together and the whole team is
starting to come around."
Jordan, by the way, scrimmaged for the first time in two weeks at practice
yesterday and had no swelling or soreness in his problematic right knee,
Collins said.
"He was moving very well," Collins said. "He was doing a lot of talking and
when he's talking, you know he feels pretty good."
There is another offshoot to Haywood's ascension -- fellow rookie Kwame
Brown has stepped up his game, Collins said. Brown, the first overall pick
in last summer's draft, has been watching Haywood, picked 20th by Cleveland,
establish himself almost overnight. That has flipped a switch in Brown, who
came to the NBA straight from high school while Haywood spent four seasons
honing his game at North Carolina.
Brown's growth has come in practice, Collins said, since he has only played
four minutes the past two games. However, that could change soon -- maybe
tonight against the Memphis Grizzlies.
"The light has gone on," Collins said of Brown. "Seeing Brendan out there
playing is a great motivator."
The excitement about the development of Haywood and Brown is enhanced by the
potential long-term results. Nearly every team wants to build around a young
big man and the Wizards have a pair, actually a foursome, Collins points
out. White and seldom-used Etan Thomas could grow together with Haywood and
Brown, possibly giving the Wizards a formidable front court for years.
All have drawn trade interest, particularly Brown. Brown is in the same
hands-off category as Haywood unless an established or nearly established
superstar is offered and that might not even be enough, a team official
said. The Wizards don't seem to be as willing to part with White as they
were a few weeks ago, either, now that he seems to have found his niche as a
complement to Haywood.
"I can always look down the road a little bit and say if we keep getting
these guys better then they have a chance of being something really special
for us down the road," Collins said.