FW: [Celtics' Stuff From Dr. Jack's chat

----------
From: michael.j.marlow.01@alum.dartmouth.org
Date: 05 Dec 2001 00:01:18 EST
To: Celticsstuffgroup@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Celtics' Stuff From Dr. Jack's chat

***********from an ESPN.com chat:

Wes from NYC (but really Boston): Dr. Jack, As you know from your special
relationship with the Celtics (for those who don't know, father-in-law to
Coach OB) many of the Boston fans want to see Antoine W. with his back to
the baskket. His league leading hoists are nice when they fall, but
gut-wrenching when they don't. However, I just want ot point out that I
think it is the only place he can really be even at all effective, since he
gets swatted more than anyone in recent history. Case in point, when the
Atlanta Hawks beat the Celts in Boston a month ago - AW was swatted a mind
boggeling 7 times!!!!! Any insight on AW's most effective position? Thanks!!

Dr. Jack Ramsay: (4:40 PM ET ) Jim O'Brien hears a lot about putting Antoine
at the low post; but as you have pointed out...he doesn't have a strong game
there.
My assessment? Some low post to make use of his passing skills; some
perimeter to drive to the hoop; some screen and rolls or pops for the
jumpers that it gives. I anguish with the rest on the number of treys, but
they don't win without some of these.

***********

personally i tend to agree with Tommy that if Antoine tried a few more
upfakes he wouldn't get swatted so much. If he played more on the box he'd
also have a better feel down there (it's all about more practice). he
doesn't get a lot of calls either, and he's got mainly himself to blame for
that given his attitude over the years. this year he's toned it down a bit,
if only a bit. I think another good point Tommy makes is that Toine doesn't
get any screens that allow him to set up low, he usually is out of the paint
and has to dribble more than once or twice to get in which makes it
difficult for him to keep under control and allows for help defense to come
over. the main thing, i think, however, is if he played consistently on the
block we'd see improved play down there.

anyway, it is nice to hear Obie isn't deaf. I notice Dr. Jack didn't reveal
what Obie thinks about those threes...oh well, for now, I like the wins.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

Celticsstuffgroup-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .