not much Celts content

I don't know who else this interests, but with this Summer's shoe camps
having concluded, there are suddenly three New England area players ranked
in the top ten nationally by Recruiting USA/ESPN.

That alone is very unusual, because NE basketball historically gets dissed
nationally. But maybe the more remarkable thing is you have two or three
additional New England prep basketball players ranked high enough currently
to have a shot to play in the McDonald's All Star game next Spring: right
now you have five players in the top-24 and another rated #29 according to
this recruiting service.

I'm not sure if any of these players are affiliated with Leo's BABC team,
which I noticed was a runnerup at one of the big Summer festivals. I
wouldn't be surprised if Leo is watching them closely though.

I have a hard time remembering any local players who had a national
reputation in high school....Caron Butler (a U Conn power forward) is one
guy and I think Dan Gadzurik (a UCLA center by way of Holland) also prepped
a year somewhere near Boston. Several future pros played for Leo's AAU club
(Rick Brunson types) but they weren't really in the national spotlight at
that age.

You have to go back a loooong way (like Patrick Ewing days) to come up with
any big names.

Anyway I hope some of you guys get a chance to see these kids play in
person some weekend or weeknight. Wherever they play, I'm sure you'll see
some familiar Division I coaching faces taking notes.

This being New England prep basketball, I'm sure some of them play in small
gyms without rafters or cheerleaders or anything like that. These are
really "preppy" schools....kids named "Chip" and "Holden" etc.

Anyway, here are some names to watch.

4. Antione Wright 6-7 Groton, Mass. (Lawrence Academy)
8. Marshall Strickland 6-2 Winchendon, Mass. (Winchendon Academy)
9. Rashad McCants 6-3 New Hampton, N.H. (New Hampton School)
17. Torin Francis 6-10 Marion, Mass. (Tabor Academy)
24. Martin Iti 6-11 Winchendon, Mass. (The Winchendon School)
29. Jarrett Jack 6-3 Worcester, Mass. (Worcester Academy)

None are likely to declare for the NBA next summer though. No matter what
people say, there seems to be a huge drop-off in nearly NBA-ready talent
this year compared to even the Eddie Griffin/Darius Miles class of 2000.
This Summer's 01 class was just off the charts.

The list can be found at http://espn.go.com/recruiting/s/010815top75.html

There is also a long article about Torin Francis' self-paid recruiting
trips at:
http://espn.go.com/ncb/s/weeklyword/0817.html

Joe

-----