RE: Celtics=Playoff's???????

It's not that I've been burned too often. I explained this before. I've been
as optimistic as anyone in the past and put a positive spin on every bad
move the team made. But when they all rolled over and quit last
year-specifically in the home game against Philly-that was it for me. I
still love the team and root desperately for them, but they don't get a free
pass from me anymore. Not the front office, not the coach, not the players.
I expect more from them than they were giving. I cared about it more than
them at that point.

Good point on the draft pick only being available in 2003. That usually goes
unnoticed, and I've certainly ignored it. And I never said having an extra
first-rounder was a bad thing-only that a pick in that 25-or-later range
almost always is a non-factor. But if we're worried about one year of
Moiso's rookie scale salary (the reason for making the trade), then aren't
we a little concerned about adding a guaranteed three-year contract for a
late first-rounder who, odds are, won't contribute much?

Finally, you ask if I'm looking at the first-half Celtics or the second-half
Celtics? Both. I don't think they're as bad as they showed the first half or
as good as they showed the second half. I think they ended up about where
they should have last year. I've also mentioned several times how it's not
uncommon for a team to have a short-term positive response when a
"player-friendly" coach like O'Brien takes over for a dictator like Pitino.
But those things usually wear off. There are exceptions, and hopefully the
Celts are an exception.

The Celtics are in the mix for a playoff spot. Is that too negative? I
wouldn't be surprised if they made it and I wouldn't be surprised if they
don't. They're in there with Indiana, Atlanta, New Jersey and Detroit-each
of those teams believes it has a real shot at the playoffs. Most likely only
one of them will be right.

Mark