Moves that save money

Mark Berry has mentioned his dislike of moves that are made solely to save
money. Here's one from the Minnesota Star Tribune:

"The Boston Celtics wanted to sign former Minneapolis North High School
star Khalid El-Amin, but agent Rob Metcalf said the Celtics would offer
only a partially guaranteed contract. The word from Dallas is the Mavericks
gave El-Amin a one-year guaranteed deal for $468,000."

The only downside to guaranteeing El-Amin's deal is losing $468K if a
better free agent becomes available, or an injury happens, and we cut him
to open up a roster spot. Oh well, we're talking about a fourth point
guard, and most likely Dallas will cut him anyway which will give us
another shot if we want. But if the coaching staff believes that he could
have helped us, and we lose him because Gaston's worried about possibly
losing $468K, that's a bit annoying.

Alex