Another move the Celtics aren't making...

Let me first say, that there's still plenty of time before the season starts
for the Celtics to make a couple of moves. Maybe they'll surprise me...

Anyway, Milwaukee is working on a sign-and-trade for Anthony Mason, and
they're only giving up Scott Williams and Darvin Ham, apparently. It's
either going to be a two-way or three-way deal (Cleveland would be in on the
three-way, offering Chris Gatling). Indiana may be offering Travis Best for
Mason.

Wouldn't Anthony Mason be a great fit with the Celtics? He's a rebounder,
great low-post defender, and efficient offensive player. He's a veteran and
has played on a lot of good teams. The Heat are willing to work a
sign-and-trade, so teams are giving up as much salary as they're adding-no
luxury tax implications. Wouldn't Vitaly and Randy Brown be a pretty
attractive package for Miami?

Mason, Olajuwon, Grant, Ewing, Haywood... a lot of guys who could have been
had relatively cheap with no real long-term downside, and any one of them
would have helped this team in the short-term. These are the things that
frustrate me. It's great to plan for the future, but you can improve the
present at the same time.

Mark

P.S. How good will Milwaukee be with Cassell, Allen, Big Dog, Mason and
Ervin Johnson, and Tim Thomas off the bench? Wow.