This year?

Mark Berry wrote:

> All the Celtics have done since the season ended is wait for the
> chips to fall in the draft. But is the team any better? Two or three
> years from now, maybe. But this year? I think others have passed us by
> or pulled even, and I don't see anyone above us sliding out of the
> playoffs. The big picture is fine, but you can try to win *this year* at
> the same time.

Yes, the Celtics are better, THIS YEAR.  Why?  Here are a few reasons:

1) Last year, the Celtics opened the season tanking games until Rick
Pitino quit.  Once Jim O'Brien took over as coach, the Celtics played much
better; they were only about .500 under O'Brien, but they played the
eaisest part of their schedule while Pitino was coaching the team.  If
they had played a full season the way they played under Jim O'Brien, they
would have made the playoffs.  So, making NO changes at all from last
season's roster, they are still a better team than last year's record
would indicate.

2) Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker are a year older and more mature.
Although Walker still throws up maddening numbers of threes sometimes, he
passes the ball a lot more often than he ever had in the past.  Paul
Pierce is coming off of a breakout season, and he should be healthier and
in better shape this year than last - since he won't be recovering from
multiple stab wounds.

3) Center.  This won't be a strength for the Celtics, but with Battie back
their center by comittee should be stronger than it was a year ago.

4) Joe Johnson.  This guy seems like the perfect player to complement
Antoine and Paul.  In terms of the skills he brings to the court, I don't
think the Celtics could have drafted anyone better.  All of the talk about
this guy, both from the summer league and from his college days (which I
think is more important) is that he is an unselfish player who works as
hard at creating offense for his teammates as for himself - even though
he's got all the skills (shooting, ballhandling, rebounding) to create for
himself, too.  In that sense, you couldn't ask for a better guy to
complement Antoine and Paul.  Some reports on Johnson have pointed out
that he would often try to create for teammates even though he was the
best player and should have been looking for his own offense.  In Boston,
he'll be devoting his energies to creating offense for two proven NBA
scorers - Antoine and Paul.  That's a luxury he hasn't had before.  And
you can bet he will get along just fine with Antoine and Paul as soon as
he gets them a few open looks.  I think JJ has as good a shot as anyone at
rookie of the year.

Really, all that we've lost is Bryant Stith.  He was a valuable role
player, but in JJ we've gained a lot more than that.

Michael