O'Brien/Wallace/Papile All Coming Back

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/109/sports/They_could_be_done_deals_soon_e
nough+.shtml

CELTICS NOTEBOOK
They could be done deals soon enough

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 4/19/2001

fter waiting late in the season to determine the futures of front-office
personnel and head coach Jim O'Brien, Celtics ownership plans to act quickly
to get the key figures under contract to prepare for a hectic offseason.

''I would imagine shortly after today we would make some decisions and
announcements,'' said chief executive officer Richard Pond before the
Celtics' season finale last night. ''I would expect something to be
announced by next Wednesday. Anything to do with the direction of the team,
most of those decisions should be made in short order. We have a very
significant offseason ahead of us with the draft [three first-round picks]
and other player decisions [five free agents]. In order to go through the
process, you need whoever's responsible for that to have direction to make
those decisions.''

O'Brien and chairman of the board Paul Gaston will meet soon to discuss the
coach's contract. And so far, all indications are general manager Chris
Wallace and director of player personnel Leo Papile will remain. O'Brien,
Wallace, and Papile will meet this morning and begin the Celtics' draft
preparations.

''I'm interested in being with this team for a long time and building this
toward a championship level,'' said O'Brien after the Celtics lost to the
Hornets, 97-92. ''I'm certainly looking forward to having our team from Day
One. I would like to start off the year and work with them during the
summer. I look very much forward to my future ... I think that will be
ironed out within the next couple days. Paul[ Gaston] and I will sit down.
I'm sure that we'll all find out very, very shortly.