By Peter Stringer NESN.com staff

Interesting tidbit about Antione's character. Seemed like
Antione's maturing in a good way. And this is coming from a
reporter IN the locker room, unlike some boston globe
reporter culling info from available net/wired sources.

**************
"I just want them to get Coach O'Brien taken care of so we
can have his system in place," said Walker, who scored 29
points and added nine rebounds against Miami.
If I hadn't been in the locker room to hear it myself, I'm
not sure I'd believe this quote. Not because I don't think
Walker wants Coach O'Brien back, but it's just that Walker
is not exactly an outspoken guy.  Oh, he'll talk to you all
you want after a game, win or lose.  But he's never been one
to ruffle feathers.  He doesn't complain to the media, even
when prodded.  The kid might talk his weight in trash on the
court, but he's never trashed anyone in the press.
**********

By Peter Stringer
NESN.com staff
April 12, 2001

If you're looking for Antoine Walker around a half-hour
after a dramatic Celtics loss, check his locker.  He's the
one still wearing his uniform.
If you're looking for Jim O'Brien after the season, it's
unclear where you should be checking.  While O'Brien has
been credited league-wide with salvaging a disastrous
Celtics season in the wake of Rick Pitino's crumbling and
humbling reign, the team has yet to grant O'Brien a chance
to finish what he started.
Walker sat with his head buried in his hands, a pose we've
seen more than a few times this season.  After the Celtics
102-97 loss to the Miami Heat at the FleetCenter Wednesday
night, Walker and his mates knew their season was over.  The
Pacers made it official when they finished off the Knicks at
Conseco Fieldhouse about an hour later and mathematically
eliminated the Celtics from the postseason.
As a shower-fresh Paul Pierce arrived to talk about his
41-point night in the losing effort, Walker finally hit the
shower hoping to wash away the hard truth about a Celtics
game that served as a microcosm of the season.  The C's fell
way behind early, made a run in the second half, tied it up
and then came up short at the end.
Pierce may have finally emerged as an NBA star thanks to his
recent exploits, but his chance to really shine - the
postseason - won't come this year.  He said his body ached
everywhere and his soft voice was especially sullen as he
talked about missed opportunities.
And when Walker returned, it seemed he'd accepted the fact
that the only way to get to the playoffs this year would be
with a ticket. For the record, I'd bank on him going to a
few games as a spectator this spring.  But while we're
talking about the record, its important to note that Antoine
made a point about going on the record repetitively and
asking that the Celtics organization bring back O'Brien and
lock-up his tag-team partner Pierce.
"I just want them to get Coach O'Brien taken care of so we
can have his system in place," said Walker, who scored 29
points and added nine rebounds against Miami.
If I hadn't been in the locker room to hear it myself, I'm
not sure I'd believe this quote. Not because I don't think
Walker wants Coach O'Brien back, but it's just that Walker
is not exactly an outspoken guy.  Oh, he'll talk to you all
you want after a game, win or lose.  But he's never been one
to ruffle feathers.  He doesn't complain to the media, even
when prodded.  The kid might talk his weight in trash on the
court, but he's never trashed anyone in the press.  He
spends most of his time spouting repetitive clichés.
Besides, for the last four years, the Celtics had one voice.
That voice is now in Louisville.  But Walker is in Boston
and he's not going anywhere; he's committed to the Celtics
for the long term, and he wants to see the Celtics commit to
his coach and his pal Pierce to keep them here with him.
O'Brien's contract with the Celtics was tied to Pitino's
deal, so with Pitino out, O'Brien is not under contract for
next season.  As for Pierce, he is signed through next
season, as the Celtics picked up the 2001-02 option for his
fourth year after his first day of training camp this
October following his well-documented recovery from the Buzz
Club stabbing incident.
Walker, who still remembers visiting Pierce in the hospital,
has nothing but praise for his friend.  While some would
expect Walker to be jealous, he's beaming with pride.  And
he knows what's at stake as Pierce enters his contract year
with the Celtics.
"We've got to take care of our leading scorer.  He's the
best two guard in the Eastern Conference, and that's not
because he's my teammate, it's because it's the truth," said
Walker of Pierce.
Pierce has also been the Celtics' best player for the last
two months. And Walker knows it.  O'Brien has said that
Walker comes to him during timeouts and asks to get the ball
to Pierce.  And he makes it happen on the court, even when
the defense knows its coming. Walker wants more than
anything to be a winner, and he now knows that he doesn't
have to do it himself.  And he doesn't want to do it
himself.  He wants it to happen with Pierce and O'Brien.
"The organization has got to try to persuade [Pierce] to
stay here. Obviously, he has to make a decision on his own.
It's going to be a lengthy contract and he has to be sure he
wants to stay in Boston. And that follows hiring Coach
O'Brien because he's like myself.  We want to play for Coach
O'Brien."
Meanwhile, O'Brien wasn't talking about his own future for
next year, but he likes the core of this team and wants to
add to it next season.
"I'm impressed with our desire to win no matter how far we
get down.  I think that tenacity, especially from these two
young leaders, is something that this franchise can build
on," said O'Brien.  "That being said, if we don't get
another player going into next year, this group has to
improve."
Walker agrees that the Celtics are missing a few
ingredients, and while he isn't sure exactly what the team
needs, he knows what it can't use.
"I don't think we can afford to go young," said Walker.
"We've got to get the right pieces of the puzzle.  I'm not
saying we need old veterans.  It could be guys two, three
years in the league.
"And that's not saying we can't come back with this full
unit.  I don't know what it's going to take but we have to
make the right moves. We can't make bad moves.  We've got to
make leaps and bounds.  I love all the guys we've got now.
I'm not sure what it is we need.  It may just be all of us
working on our game all off-season."
Pierce would also like to get some help, and made a quiet
plea for O'Brien as well, but he thinks the team will stay
largely in tact.
"I feel like the guys we have here, a lot of guys will be
back next year," said Pierce.
The question is, will O'Brien be back and will Pierce commit
to the team long term?
Peter F. Stringer is a NESN.com staff writer.  Material from
wires and other sources may have been used in this report.
Questions and Comments are welcome through Feedback