Early Entries

Zach, Troy and Jason declare. I was really surprised to learn that Jason
Richardson is the first early entry player from Michigan State since
Magic Johnson in 1979. Even Duke can't make that boast.

Joe

p.s. Why does it seem like one out of every two American teenagers is
named "Jason" these days? Is there a reason for the popularity of this
name? (I have nothing against it, I'm just wondering..)

---

MSU's Randolph going pro
April 10, 2001
(AP)-- Michigan State freshman Zach Randolph, a key player who led the
Spartans to their third consecutive Final Four, will make himself
eligible for June‘s NBA draft, his high school basketball coach said.

The former Indiana High School All-Star, who averaged 10.8 points and
6.7 rebounds in less than 20 minutes per game last season, will turn pro
over his mother‘s objections, said Moe Smedley, his coach at Marion High
School.

“Well, they finally got him,” Smedley told The Indianapolis Star on
Monday. “A lot of guys want to make a quick buck off Zach. It‘s criminal
that guys are allowed to do that. Everyone I talked to said he‘d more
than double his money if he waited a year. But money talks. And if you
knew where he came from, $50,000 to him would be like $10 million to
us.”

Murphy, Richardson declare for NBA draft
April 10, 2001
By The Associated Press All-American Troy Murphy is leaving Notre Dame
for the NBA – maybe. Jason Richardson is gone from Michigan State – for
sure.

“This is something that I‘ve thought a great deal about since the season
ended. I feel that I owe it to myself to pursue this option,” Murphy
said in a statement issued Tuesday. “I‘ve discussed my future with some
agents, and although I haven‘t signed with one, I feel that it is best
to take advantage of this opportunity.”

Murphy, who averaged 21.8 points and 9.2 rebounds per game. has until
June 20 to change his mind and withdraw his name from the draft. If he
does not sign with an agent, he could return to Notre Dame for his
senior season.

Richardson, the leading scorer on Michigan State‘s Final Four team,
knows he‘s not coming back, and by Wednesday he may be joined by
teammate Zach Randolph.

“I‘m going to forgo my junior and senior season at Michigan State and
pursue my career in the NBA,” Richardson said.

Richardson, who led the Spartans in scoring with a 14.7 average, made
his decison after consulting with coach Tom Izzo on his draft prospects.

“The consensus I got was that he would be a top 10 pick and that he
could go as high as five,” Izzo said.

Richardson became the first Michigan State player to turn pro as an
underclassman since Magic Johnson left after his sophomore year in 1979.
By Wednesday, he could be joined by Randolph, who scheduled a news
conference at his high school in Marion to discuss his decision.

--------