Re: Knicks

----- Original Message ----- From: Dan Forant <dforant1@nycap.rr.com>

> Knicks have the balls to make the moves. The same could have been done
> years ago with the aging Celts. The Knicks are a better team without Ewing
> and will rule the East with a coach that knows how to use talent.

Of all the things that have happened to the Celtics over the last 15 years
or so, the one that I truly do not regret is that they held on to their
aging players "too long".  Does anybody really wish they had traded Bird or
McHale in the late '80s?  The Celtics current problems come from a mix of
poor management and bad luck, not because they kept Larry Bird too long.
But that was a long time ago and things are different now.  I don't blame
the Knicks for trading Ewing.  In fact, I think they showed plenty of
loyalty giving him his last contract which was far more than he was worth at
the time.  I'm also not sure how much the Knicks have helped themselves with
this trade.  We'll have to see who goes next, Houston or Sprewell and what
they get in return, but both of those guys are better than Rice right now,
aren't they?

Jim