Re: Paul's right

The issue here is whether Antoine or Paul are "untouchable." I don't think
I've heard Pitino say that - if I remember right it was from some "source."
The truth is that we've never even heard a rumor of a substantial offer that
we would find compelling for either Walker or Pierce. Does anyone think
that Pitino would not pull the trigger on a sufficiently compelling deal?
He hasn't gotten one yet. I bet if the Nets called offering Marbury (one of
Pitino's 3 favorites for his system) he would ship out Pierce in a heartbeat,
and this is probably the equivalent of Finley/Kidd.

I agree that we have to improve the team, but my guess is that the timing
is not right for us to get a good deal. I doubt that Walker and Pierce are
really untouchable, but on the other hand they are our only truly tradable
talents and we can't ship them out for the first mediocre offer (Austin
Croshere?). I think we want to wait until a better opportunity comes around
due to some team's player being dissatisfied or a management dismantling.

I think that Pitino's offer of 3 draft picks for Jermaine O'Neal was actually
quite a bold move. For now, draft picks are our best commodity to trade.
As your team gets better, your players' trade value increases and your
draft picks decrease. Right now we suck and draft picks will probably get
us the best relative value. The trade for Abdul-Wahad didn't excite me so
much but it was another example of using our draft picks to enable a deal.

Alex