Article

Interesting article

C's stick with plan B

The Celtics made a major play for O'Neal in the days leading up to the draft. But after being turned away in their final attempt to acquire him on draft night, general manager Chris Wallace and president/coach Rick Pitino closed the book on the chase and headed in a different direction. They drafted UCLA's Jerome Moiso with the 11th overall pick and subsequently added four new faces (Robert Pack, Chris Carr, Randy Brown, Mark Blount) through trades and free agent signings.

So, when O'Neal went back on the block last week after Portland finally completed its three-way deal with Miami and Cleveland for Shawn Kemp, it didn't come as a big surprise the Celtics decided against staging another pursuit.

``We had our big run at him around the draft,'' said Wallace. ``I don't really know what more we could have done (to acquire O'Neal) than what was proposed at that point.''

Antoine Walker draws considerable criticism for his shot-selection and an inability to fully expand his game, but give him credit for one thing: In an age in which professional athletes want the best of both worlds (wealth, winning), the Celtics captain has never looked to greener pastures elsewhere.

Walker, who has yet to participate in a playoff game after four seasons, wants to be a member of the Celtics his entire career.

``I've talked to enough guys to know being traded around the league is no fun for anyone,'' he said. ``I'm no exception. I still live in Chicago (during the offseason) but I consider Boston a part of me now.

``I definitely want to stay here, and that's why it bothers me to hear my name in (trade) rumors. It's part of the business, I know, but I'm confident better times are coming for this team and I want to be a part of that. I don't want to go anywhere else.''