Re: O'Neal

What exactly is it about that article that makes you so glad the Celtics
didn't land O'Neal? The fact that he wasn't as talented, at 20 years old, as
Rasheed Wallace and Brian Grant? Wow, big surprise. The rebounding and
shot-blocking? Or was it the tattoo? Are we going to start eliminating
potential Celtics because we don't like what they tattoo on their shoulders?

I don't know. Donnie Walsh has been a pretty good judge of talent over the
years, and a real forward-thinker when it comes to the untapped potential of
high school players. He understands they are projects, but he gives them
time and puts them in an environment to succeed. Watch in the next couple of
years and see how O'Neal, Jonathan Bender and Al Harrington emerge on that
team. Suddenly, a team that seemed old and tired actually has a promising
future.

Walsh understood that guys like Antonio and Dale Davis are great
complementary players, but still just complementary players. He traded them
for potential superstars-Bender and O'Neal. Will he prove to be right? It's
too soon to tell, but the guy has a pretty good track record.

Mark