Re: Trade the picks

----- Original Message ----- From: Alexander Wang <awang@MIT.EDU>

> The most recent trade idea on my mind is one that has been rumored since
> Pitino's arrival -- Mashburn to Boston. ...So maybe they want to trade him
at the > deadline for one of our expiring contracts (Stith, maybe?) and our
second highest
> first rounder next year pick.

Regardless of what you think about this deal, this is an interesting point.
As Thomas Murphy's possible Kevin Garnett deals showed last week, if the
team desired Bryant Stith could be used to bring in significant talent this
year.  In the past, the team hasn't had this combination of sizeable,
expiring contracts and expendable draft picks available for trade.  The only
question is if the team is willing to take on additional salary.  Strangely
enough, I think Gaston would be more willing to do this the better the team
is playing.  Say the team was heading towards a sixth or seventh playoff
seed.  Something like this could make them conference contenders.
Conversely, if they are hanging around the tenth spot and need a boost to
get into the playoffs, I doubt Gaston would open the checkbook.

Jim