Re: Garnett?

I don't know the inside details of the story, but it is sad if McHale gets fired
and has to leave the sport he loves hanging his head in shame. Five first
rounders is practically a franchise killer for a small market team that was
making good acquistions and showing a willingness to pay to compete. I'm sure
some fans will resent management for this penalty. You always feel bad for the
first guy that gets nailed for doing what everyone else at least seems to be
doing, since it is not clear that they should have known better than to break
the rules.

But at least this means he will be available to the Boston Celtics should
Poultrino/Gaston/Wallace leave, and that might also be the right opportunity for
personal redemption from McHale's perspective as well.

Joe

p.s. Mark, I still think it is much more plausible that Boston would enter the
KG sweepstakes by offering a serious package of Vitaly "Chicken Kiev" Potapenko,
Antoine "KFC" Walker and maybe Jerome "Coq au vin" Moiso plus at least two draft
picks and cap filler. Paul Pierce has a very solid fan base in Boston (except at
the Buzz Club) right now and is a pretty nice player for this or any system. I
wouldn't mind swapping Kenny Anderson for Terrell Brandon either, although both
have pretty outrageous salaries. You all know I love Antoine Walker and those
others, but Kevin Garnett is worth essentially any asking price as Mark says. He
is as close to a no-weaknesses superstar as exists in any sport. He's like A-Rod
in baseball, I guess.

------