Jackson: Thomas is right fit for new Pacers

Interesting quotes from Mark Jackson.  Sounds like he wouldn't have thought Bird would have been good for the Celtics three years ago, either.

Jim

http://www.starnews.com/sports/indianasgame/pacers/articles/jside1024.html

TORONTO -- Mark Jackson says he enjoyed playing for Larry Bird the past three seasons with the Pacers. But he expects Isiah Thomas to be more effective as a coach.

"When you talk about coaches, there's a whole different caliber out there (than Bird)," Jackson said. "Isiah Thomas is a coach. Larry Bird would tell you, he had an offensive coordinator and a defensive coordinator. And sometimes those guys (Rick Carlisle and Dick Harter) need to sit back and shut up.

"But we had a great run. For us, he was probably the coach that was needed. We needed a guy to sit back and let us run the show because we had a bunch of guys who knew what to do. Would he work with the team they have now? Absolutely not. But he did a great job with us."