Re: ESPN.com says 32-50 for our lads

At 07:30 PM 10/23/00 -0400, Dan Forant wrote:

> Does Doc Ramsey have it right? Very gloomy outlook for a franchise that
hired
> supposedly the best Coach and basketball man in the business.  Espn picks 32
> wins. Geez, that's 2 more than me.

The article, and prediction, was written by Mitch Lawrence, not Ramsay. Jack
Ramsay had that little side column that said, "If everything goes right, they
could be in playoff contention."

> According to one Eastern Conference GM, their top players -- Walker, Pierce
> and Kenny Anderson -- wouldn't be ranked anywhere among the top 75
players in
> the league. Walker is an erratic scorer who's been paid the maximum ($73
> million) but has not been a "max player" when it has come to consistent
> performance. Anderson, who should be a backup at this stage of his
career, is
> not a Pitino favorite.

> I must admit, Walker must be in the top 75 players in the league, wouldn't
> you imagine???????

Yeah, it's amazing what people get away with when they're assured anonymity. I
think this actually might be a recycled comment from last year since I think I
remember reading it before. The top 75 players in the league are roughly all
the above average starters in the league (not exactly because teams like
Portland have great players coming off the bench). Is Pierce an above average
starting shooting guard? I would say so.

Alex