Re: last night's game

Josh Ozersky wrote:

> Brand was guarded at times by Walter, Antoine, and
> other comparative weaklings, and there wasn't a damn
> thing they could do with him. Boy he is good.  But
> when we put Vitaly on him he wasn't so saucy anymore.
> A good example of why defense means more than
> shotblocking.

Vitaly last year guarded all the widebody power forwards like Karl
Malone at least to start each half. If he plays well enough on defense
to not need the help of a double team for long stretches (not always the
case obviously), then we probably win these games. I just hope Pitino
thinks more about individual defensive matchups in his substitution
strategy. Vitaly shouldn't guard a Brad Miller and Battie shouldn't
guard a Charles Oakley, but vice-versa should work etc.

> Herren:  the guy's stat line was very impressive, and
> he's obviously for real.  He is a true point guard,
> has great range, and is a real hard-nosed kid.  He is
> much slower than you may have heard on D, though.  He
> seemed to struggle keeping up with Khalid El-Amin!
> That's where the Jason Williams comparison falls
> apart.  I don't know if he has the jets to be a
> starting PG in this league, although I'm sure he could
> get away with it on offense.

Well the papers report that he started camp 20 pounds overweight so
that's got to be a big part of the answer. If he sheds that weight (the
ankle/knee sprain won't help) we'll see a different player I'm sure.
It's really a shame all the minor injury bugs going around. That's
something outside the coach's control. If Herren starts the season on
IR, who knows if Pitino will let continue his on-the-job training in
live games. If he can keep shooting threes well enough to make us forget
Barros (a dire need on this team), that alone would assure him minutes.

> Adrian:  this game was won, in my mind, by Adrian
> Griffin.  Just like the AG of old -- always making key
> plays, always getting the key rebound, always being in
> the right place at the right time.  This guy played so
> well last night -- he is definitely back to form.

That's the best news I've heard. You've gotta love our chances when
Adrian has his "A" game. He was such a valuable player when he led the
team in rebounds and assists and steals for the first couple of months.
I think he was among our leaders in FG% too for awhile, and pitched a
number of near perfect all-around games early on.

-----