Re: hot rod's status

At 07:17 PM 10/19/00 -0400, Jeremy wrote:

>Does anyone know if he has officially retired?  If he doesn't, I think the
>Celtics will keep him on the injured list all year so that insurance will
>cover his salary.  They'll probably do the same with Greg Minor, which
>means they have only one injury list spot for a real player.

Nah, Pitino and Wallace made it clear that Hot Rod's not going to be on the
roster this year. He doesn't have a number when you look at the roster on
celtics.com.

I would think they'd have trouble getting insurance coverage for him. At
the very least they'd have to do more than just stash him on the injured
list. Insurance companies tend to be more careful than that. I don't know
that much about his situation though. My guess is that he agreed to the
trade knowing that he'd get waived and get his money either way.

I doubt that Chris Carr gets cut, or even gets stashed on the injured list
with a fake injury this year, no matter how badly he plays. Pitino
recruited him over several other teams, probably by promising him a certain
role. I don't think it would help his reputation with free agents if he cut
him in favor of Elliott, say. Miskiri and Elliott don't have any chance to
make the roster, I would guess.

Alex