Re: Trade idea: Trajan Langdon for Hot Rod Williams

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000 10:33:59 -0400, "Jason Manganello"
<manganel@fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

>>    Asking for a first round pick, of course, would be ridiculous, but
>>perhaps a second round pick?  If the Cavs want to get rid of Langdon that
>>badly, then they might (but I doubt it) be willing to give up a second
>>rounder to have his salary off the books next year.
>>
>>    To be honest, I think the salary considerations would be more important
>>to Cleveland than being able to retire Williams' number.  If they are that
>>interested in doing so, they can just wait a year and retire it after he
>>retires.  Geez, even if they are that eager to do it, they could just do it
>>this year, regardless of which team's roster he's on.

Other than the C's, other teams' retiring a player's # is basically a
PR move to generate tix sales (and the Cavs really need to "re-market"
themselves after the Kemp trade, as everybody knows they are in
rebuilding mode - meaning lottery land- meaning losing games- meaning
low attendances).

But that's not the main benefit to the Cavs. The positive thing is -
they get to pay lesser money (1.4mil) simply by dumping  Trajan's
gauranteed money (1.5mil in '01 and 2.1mil in '02) for Hot Rod's last
year of  2.2mil,

Cav's need to cut/trade/waive somebody as they've got 17 gauranteed
contracts on the roster!!!!

Even if they cut Trajan, they've still got to pay his bills. Hey,
remember we've got Hot Rod's salary covered in cash by Cuban.