Re: Thoughts after the game (long)

----- Original Message ----- From: Berry, Mark S <berrym@BATTELLE.ORG>

> A few observations:

And damn fine observations they were, too.  There's only a couple of places
where I would differ.

> Toine really played well....He was the primary ballhandler and brought the
> ball up the floor when Randy Brown was in at the point. I like this for a
> number of reasons

I do like to see Antoine handling the ball, however, I'm not as convinced
this is a cure for his, what's the scientific term, ballhoggedyness?  I
think he's already been initiating the offense a lot, even when Kenny's on
the floor.  It's an effective way to take some pressure off the point guard,
and give the defense something else to think about, but it hasn't stopped
the offense from breaking down into individual moves all too often, from
what I can see.

> Randy Brown showed exactly what kind of player he is. He missed some open
> jumpers, and he isn't a gifted ballhandler like Kenny. We knew that. We
also
> knew he would defend hard, think pass first and do all the dirty work good
> players do. He did all those things. Since the Celtics are blessed with a
> talented ballhandler at the forward spot in Toine, Brown's limitations
don't
> seem so glaring (same as when he was with Pippen in Chicago).

Here's the difference.  If the Celtic point guards have the mindset they did
last night, it won't matter if Antoine or the point guard is handling it,
the ball will keep moving.  And, my God, was it just me or did the ball
actually advance up the sideline to a SG/SF on the wing a couple of times?
What a difference it will make if they start doing that.

> The guy is a
> much better complement to this team than Kenny, but he won't be able to
> handle much more than 25 mpg over the course of the season.

One thing that was obvious is that Randy and Antoine are on the same page
and respect each other.  Antoine was definitely in set-up-teammates mode
last night, and I think Brown will keep him there.  One concern is that
Pitino is expecting too much leadership from a guy with limited talent, but
if this game is any indication, I'd say Antoine looks up to him.

> Which brings us to...
>
> Chris Herren. OK, the numbers aren't pretty (1 point, 5 turnovers), but a
> few of those TOs weren't his fault. ....I'm sold on Herren. Let the
> guy learn his teammates and he could be a legit starting point guard.

I was impressed with Herren too, considering he hasn't practiced with the
team.  I don't know how much you can really tell from this game, though.
The important fact, though, is that even a mediocre point guard, such as
Randy Brown, can get this team playing better if he moves the offense
better.  And that doesn't even consider his defensive advantages over Kenny,
which will be huge this year, with the press coming back.  Randy is strong
and wide.  He's a hell of a tougher obstacle to get around than Kenny
Anderson.

> Pitino actually played that new point guard quite a bit last night (he's
> terrible). If I was the suspicious sort, I'd say the Celts were looking
for
> a third-string point guard because they are planning to trade their
> incumbent starter.

I think it was you, Mark, who was saying that the Anderson situation could
get interesting this year  And, if it was, you are right on the money.  I
think it's entirely clear Pitiino does not want Kenny running this team
anymore.  I do wonder if there is a trade in the works, and Atlanta would
make sense for a number of reasons.  It sounds like Kenny still spends time
there, if that's where he went for the birth of his son (could something
have been going on behind the scenes while he was down there?).  I know they
wouldn't like to take on a contract like Kenny's, but they might be willing
to if they want to get rid of Wright (is he really signed until 2007?).  I'm
not a big Mutombo fan, but I could see Pitino lusting after him.  This is
definitely something to keep an eye on.

> Bryant Stith looks like he will send Chris Carr to the injured list.

He could be a nice addition.  Looked like he'll fit into the Pitino style
very well.  Denver must really like Pack to give up these two guys and take
Cheaney to get him.

Jim