Randy Brown gets 13 deflections

CELTICS NOTEBOOK
Brown has some praise to deflect
By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 10/17/2000

SPRINGFIELD - Led by the defense and clutch fourth-quarter free throws
of Randy Brown, the Celtics won their first exhibition game last night,
defeating the Atlanta Hawks, 94-92.

The veteran point guard, who started for the absent Kenny Anderson,
posted 8 points, 6 steals, and 5 assists in 31 minutes. It was a rousing
return from a sprained left ankle that forced him to miss the first two
exhibitions. Coach Rick Pitino barely paused for breath as he praised
Brown.

''You always hear coaches talk about deflections, how important it is to
your defense,'' said Pitino. ''We hoped to get 35 and Randy had 13 by
himself. Randy is exactly what this team needs, he's sort of rejuvenated
everything I believe in in basketball personally.''

Antoine Walker came close to posting a double-double with 30 points and
9 rebounds. He also added 6 assists as Brown seemed content to let
Walker take the ball upcourt and make the initial pass. Eric Williams
had 14 points in 18 minutes. Chris Carr sat out with a right hamstring
strain.