Re: First Ex. Game Thoughts

I agree that it i s too early to make judgements on this team, but I, too,
was disapointed.The only guys who seemed to be hustling were Kenny
Anderson V and Mike Jordan.  I'm not as high on Blount as everyone else
seems to be. On the basis of this game, I would have to conclude that he
has worse hands than V.  Also he didn't impress me with his rebounding (I
only was able to hang on for 3 quarters)

****dave

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Jim Meninno wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: bird <birdw@aloha.net>
>
> > Joe wrote:
> > >This game reminds me of the 1997-98 preseason
> > >and early season, when we couldn't do anything right in the new system
> > >and with limited personnel.
> >
> > Exactly.  I'm thinking this season will look a lot like Pitino's
> > first year, too, although I hope we get a better record near the end
> > of the season, maybe even pushing us into the playoffs (heaven
> > forfend).
>
> I think you guys are right to compare this performance to that of the team
> in Pitino's first year.  That seems to be exactly what Pitino is going for;
> To re-create the feeling of that team with this one, which is far more
> talented.  I think it's going to be a harder motivational job than it was
> that first year.  That year everything was new.  New players were being
> brought in to play this new system, and everybody was enthusiastic.  The
> team is more settled now, with guys who have been here for a couple years,
> mostly.  That will be a plus, in a lot of ways, but I think it could make it
> difficult to get back that same crazy, intense attitude.  And, even if they
> do get that back, it's hard to say how successful it will be.  Joe's comment
> prompted me to look back at that year.  The Celtics lost 7 of 8 pre-season
> games, and 5 of their first 6 regular season games.  They somehow managed to
> win 15 of their next 24, to stand at 16 and 14 on January 3rd.  On the one
> hand, it is amazing to think that team could put together a stretch like
> that.  It was Walker and a cast of rookies and scrubs.  That was it.  On the
> other hand, you sort of get the feeling that this team would have to
> similarly over-achieve to better their record.
>
> With regards to last night's game, it was a mess.  I forgot just how bad
> this team can look when they're playing poorly.  I'm glad we're not getting
> flooded with a ton of comments about how bad this guy, or that guy looked,
> because you just can't evaluate an individual player's performance in a game
> like that.  They all sucked.   One thing I noticed was that Walker seemed to
> be looking for Vitaly early in both halves, and V wasn't hitting shots he
> normally would.  Other than that, it was pure chaos.  I'll agree that Blount
> showed enough to convince me that he's an upgrade over the 12th man, third
> string centers they've been carrying.  I'm not sure what else you could
> learn from that game.
>
> Jim

	  Dave Wickerham
	  aw623@freenet.buffalo.edu