Re: T*E*A*M

Good points. As much as I (maybe unfairly) dislike Battie ever since the
cop-dragging incident, I think he can be a very good rebounder if he comes to camp
a little bit stronger physcially each year (I hope he is already stronger this
year, I guess we'll see tonight). As a shotblocker and shot challenger, Battie
will always give you fewer boards than a pure rebounder (just as Bird always got a
few more defensive boards than McHale). But if Battie can get 2 blocks a game,
then anything above 8 boards per game in starter minutes would be a welcome
achievement. Already, he's not a bad rebounder at all on a per-minute basis.

One advantage Battie and Moiso will have is playing alongside someone like
Potapenko who boxes out as well as anyone and who treats this sort of grunt work
like some sort of statistic you can accumulate (like a "pancake block" in
football).

The problem is that Potapenko rarely gets any lift to go up for the rebound as a
result, unless it conveniently falls in his lap. For all that, he was a very
strong rebounder for the first 2/3rds of last year before trailing off at the end
(he lost a lot of minutes too, as Pitino started showcasing Fortson).

V's supposedly in great shape, and so we may hopefully see some of that old school
toughness tonight against the rookie prima donna Joel Przybilla. Milwaukee also
has a pair of finesse forwards (Tim Thomas and Big Dog) who will wipe us out
tonight if Antoine, Griffin and Battie don't execute on defense. Cassell, Ray
Allen and 6th man Lindsay Hunter can all go for 25 points against the perimeter
defense and layup drill press of last year's Celtics. I hope we'll see lots of
energy.  And a (meaningless) win would be nice, to calm everyone down.

Can someone please volunteer to do a game summary, assuming Bill Cooper wants to
extend his summer vacation a few more days?

Blount is one new face who might give us a good season preview tonight, what with
five Celtics players out and Griffin a bit behind the others in conditioning. It
will be nice to see a young, mobile 7-foot prospect wearing green. If Blount plays
well against Pryzbilla, that might help validate Spintino's comment that he is the
equivalent of a top 7 to 12 lottery pick. Chris Carr might also end up auditioning
half or more of Paul Pierce's normal minutes. I'm sure it will be fun for a 6-0
Ivy league grad like "MJ" to get a chance to go up against All Stars like Cassell
and Ray Allen, before he is inevitably cut and joins an investment bank.

One more thing, with no one tonight on our roster capable of shooting the three
(Pierce and Herren are out), I'm afraid that "responsibility" might fall by
default on the willing shoulders of Waltah and Antoine. We'll soon see if Waltah's
summer sessions with Kiki Vandeweigh involved actual shooting tutorials, or
singing duets of "Ebony and Ivory" like some people on this list apparently seem
to fear. ;-)

-------