Re: Training camp notes

>From: Hironaka <j.hironaka@unesco.org>
>
>I'm a bit dismayed to see Walker apparently slotted in already as the
>power forward. I would hope Pitino experiments a little more during camp with
>Walker, mainly because otherwise you create such a logjam at center and power
>forward...

I agree, Joe, but I think Walker will get almost all his minutes at
power forward.  I've been wanting to see more experimentation for
some time now, but I've resigned myself to the fact that it's just
not going to happen.  This may be the best chance to try it out,
though, because of the big men you mention.

Battie ought to get some power forward minutes because he's still a
few more weight room trips away from actually guarding opposing
centers.  (Though I'm basing this on his play last year -- I hope
he's improved in the off-season.)  Maybe getting some time at the
four will help Battie.  Blount -- well, let's say I'm cautiously
optimistic.  Sounds decent from the published reports -- especially
if the worst negative thing that can be gleaned from them is that V
kicks his butt every day.  He ought to.  We're talking about a decent
contributer from the backup or even third-string center position.
And I like the idea that you and Alex brought up over the summer --
that Moiso play some small forward.

Thing is, I don't see Pitino playing Walker at the three (except for
a few minutes here and there).  Walker gets 40 minutes, V gets 25,
Battie 15 at center, splits the PF minutes with Moiso (all 8-12  of
them), Blounts gets his 8-10 at center.  Not to mention the
insufferable minutes McCarty will wind up playing at the four, if he
can stay off the overflow ... er, injury list.  These are all very
rough estimates, of course.  Maybe in this schema Moise _can_ get
some time at small forward, though.

I'd do it a bit different, but I'm not the coach.  With Pitino
supposedly going back to the pressing game, I think we're likely to
see a lot more of the same substitution patterns we saw in years
past.  If only the second unit presses, for instance, we'll probably
see a lot of mass subsitutions, that sort of thing.  He's not likely
to start thinking about Walker at the three, Battie being a full-time
power forward, or things like that, although Moiso at the three seems
to fit a la McCarty in the first year.

Regards,

Bill