With Fifi I and II, How Can The Celtics Lose...

The Good News: Mark Blount is a phenom according to Pitino.
He can run, block shots, rebound, play in the post, defend, and shoot.

The Bad News: The Phenom averaged 8 points and 4 rebounds
while playing in all 8 games in the less than stellar Shaws Summer
League, and was in constant foul trouble.

The Good News: Mark Blount is the fastest Celtic on court.

The Bad News: Mark Blount is the fastest Celtic on court. Paging
Mr. Athlete. Will Mr. Athlete please report to Healthpoint
as soon as possible, as the C's obviously need a few of vous.

The Good News: Antoine Walker's shot mechanics are said to be
much better this pre season, as the Toine is really stroking the ball.

The Bad News:  Damn it, Jim, it's his shot selection that's the
big problem. His tendency to take wild three pointers
and other outside shots at inopportune times - that's what
he really needs to work on, along with his general ball-hoggery
in critical situations.

The Good News: The Celtics went out and got a backup
point guard.

The Bad News: He's 32 years old (aged for a NBA guard) with two
rebuilt knees, already injured, and overpaid. Even
a Pitino loyalist like Steve Bulpett questioned the number of
years and contract given Brown, and Mitch Lawrence said
out of all the free agents, Brown made out second best.

The Good News:  Pitino made one of his better deals and
acquired Chris Herren, who if he can avoid injuries and dalliances
in the dark side of life, can become the East Coast version
of Jason Williams.

The Bad News: But he's the Celtics third string point guard,
on the last year of his contract, late for training camp, and
playing time at the point guard spot may be at a premium
this season. I say may be at a premium, because I fully
expect both Anderson and Brown to go down with injuries.
So maybe Herren will be allowed to shine...

The Good News:  Knowing that his team is awful on the road
and with a tendency to party the night before games, Pitino
has instituted a 1:00 A.M.  curfew for back-to-back games.

The Bad News: Like most of Il Duce's moves, this one has
very little substance to it. As Peter May points out in the
Boston Globe, only 17 nights this season meet the curfew
criteria, and in most cases, the Celtics won't be in their
hotel rooms by 1:00 A.M. any ways.

The Good News (well, not really): The C's drafted Fifi II: Jerome
Moiso.

The Bad News: The C's wasted the eleventh pick on Jerome
Moiso, who, lacks direction, desire, fire, and intensity.  It doesn't
shock me one bit, that Pitino has basically written him off for this
season.

And you might as well write off Moiso's entire Celtics career, because
with Pitino likely gone after this season, the new GM and
Coach aren't going to be too amiable to taking on any of Pitino's
projects.  Especially one most suited for a Pitino system, that
will most likely be junked under new management.

And toss in the fact that Alexander and Claxton -- two players
that most definitely filled Celtics needs more than Moiso -- are
wowing them respectively in Dallas and Philly.  Then you
understand what a colossal blunder Moiso was.

The Good News: The C's should have two decent lottery picks next
year.

The Bad News: Although it's looking doubtful at the moment, things
could miraculously change, and Piitino could be given another
year to further screw up the draft and team. Add in the fact, that
Pitino is desperate to make the playoffs, so you can see the
great possibility of him, trading away those draft picks for
questionable veteran talent in a futile attempt to make the
playoffs.

Personally, I don't see what the great desire is in being the eighth
seed
in the Eastern Coference.  I say: "F*** that". I'd rather have the team
crash and burn this year, and flame out Gaston, Pitino, and Wallace.
Bring in new ownership, management, and coaches next season,
keep a core group of players, and draft well. Then I'll be
enthused.

The Good News:  After 80 years of ineptness, racism, strange
decisions, coaches, managers, owners, and players, the Red Sox
are on the market.

The Bad News: The Celtics aren't, and I've been assured that
Gaston is not selling the team anytime soon. For some reason,
I have a strong vibe that Gaston, will in fact, sell the club within
a year, but I've been told that's not the case.

Ray

PS: Fifi I is Tony Battie.