Globe on Battie, Stith and Blount

It's one tall order for Battie
Celtic sizing up his chances to play center
By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 10/4/2000

WALTHAM - With conviction that sometimes seems lacking on the court,
Tony Battie announced his intention to start all 82 regular-season games
at center. It was a big step for a player who admits he's undersized for
a position that will pit him against taller and heavier competition.
Yesterday, as Celtics training camp started at the Sports Authority
training center, Battie began working toward his goal.

''Basically, I want to be more consistent, not only a consistent player,
but a consistent starter,'' said Battie. ''I want to be the starter this
year, not just 10 games, not 20 games. I'm going to start 82 games. I'm
going to be the solid man in the middle. Even though I am a forward, I'm
going to give you 120 percent of my ability at the center spot.''

The preseason will be an important proving ground for Battie. While
Battie has convinced himself he's ready to assume a regular starting
role, he has four weeks to persuade the Celtics coaching staff. Judging
from the first practice, attention will be squarely focused on Battie.
As the morning session concluded with conditioning drills that had
players sprinting up and down the court, Battie was constantly being
encouraged by the coaches to go harder and finish strong.

Over the next few weeks, Battie will face familiar (Vitaly Potapenko)
and unfamiliar (Mark Blount) competition for time at center. Both Blount
and Potapenko appeared in excellent condition, challenging Battie to
raise the intensity of his play. Battie gladly has accepted the
challenge.

''It is a competition,'' said Battie. ''We have to push each other to be
a little bit better. They've got to fight me for the spot. It's not `OK,
Tony, you're the starter.' You've got to go out there and work. That's
the mentality you've got to have.''

Since the Celtics recently have lacked a true center, Battie hopes they
will accept his athleticism, speed, and ''heart'' as a substitute for
size and strength.

''There's nothing I can do to prepare for 7-foot, 280-pound guys,
especially with my frame,'' said Battie (6-11, 240 pounds). ''I can eat
all summer, but then come in out of shape. The best thing I can do is
what's right for me. Work on my footwork. Work on my jumping ability.
Work on my shot.''

Under the watchful eye of coach Rick Pitino at training camp, Battie
will have an opportunity to demonstrate he can be successful. At the
moment, the Celtics coaches are uncertain what Battie will show them.
But if Battie earns the starting spot at center, his athleticism will
help Boston with its plans to press and trap.

''We sort of know what to expect with Antoine [Walker]. You sort of know
what to expect with Paul [Pierce]. You sort of know what to expect with
Kenny [Anderson],'' said Pitino. ''What we need to do is we expect more
from Tony Battie. Tony is the unknown factor right now. I think you've
all seen flashes of brilliance, then you probably say, `He didn't play
that well the other night. He was in early foul trouble.' We need him
consistently to be a factor on the glass, a factor defensively. I think
he can do that.''

Last season, Battie started at center in three games, enough to whet his
appetite. In his second start, against San Antonio, he posted an
impressive 16 points, three rebounds and a blocked shot before fouling
out. Throughout his second year with Boston, Battie did not miss a game,
averaging 6.6 points and 5.0 rebounds in 18.4 minutes. The 2000-01
season marks his fourth year in the NBA, and Battie believes he's ready
to make a bigger impact.

''It's a new season and I've got nothing but positive things to go
for,'' said Battie. ''I set goals and try to achieve them. Today's the
first day, so you want to start and build something positive and try to
do something good at the end of the year.''

Notes

Paul Pierce was seen watching practice intently and eating lunch with
his teammates at the training center. Head trainer Ed Lacerte said
Pierce would begin exercising at a low level by walking on a treadmill
in a few days, then biking and using a stair machine ... After six
largely lost seasons in Boston, Pervis Ellison has found a new home in
the Sonics training camp ... Pitino protege and Florida coach Billy
Donovan observed practice yesterday with an assistant ... Blount, who
was the fastest player on the court in a few conditioning drills at the
end of practice, looked so impressive that Pitino said Blount, ''could
be a major steal, if he keeps progressing.'' If Blount came out in the
draft this year, Pitino feels he would have been a lottery pick ... Jeff
Austin, meanwhile, had this to say about client Bryant Stith's take on
the agreed-to, but still hush-hush deal that would bring him to Boston.
''Hypothetically, if it were to happen, Bryant would welcome it,''
Austin said. ''Yes, he has been in Denver for his whole career and he
likes the city and the community. But basketball-wise, it's time for a
change for him. He's healthy, he's looking forward to playing, and
playing for Boston. That is, of course, if it were to happen.''