Re: Interesting notes from Mitch Lawrence

>From: "Jim Meninno" <Jim_Meninno@hotmail.com>
>
>The Celtics need a =
>superstar!  What a revelation.  They're not going to draft high enough =
>to get one "off the rack", and I doubt they have the goods to trade for =
>one, either.

One great player makes this team into an instant Eastern Conference
title contenders, especially if that player is a shotblocking center.
But, as you say, how does the team acquire one?  A trade?  Not
likely, unless we offer Walker or Pierce.  The draft?  We might get
lucky, but probably not.  The other way to go is to develop some big
men into a semblence of great players.  Not great, but at least
adequate.  Battie and V have shown this year (so far, anyway) that
they are probably capable of that.  Certainly not there yet, though.

>Since they have a lot of late lottery picks coming up, and =
>a decent core of talent that is *slowly* maturing together, they will =
>probably look to draft teenagers and projects like Moiso.  If there's an =
>opportunity to trade for someone like Garnett or Mourning, then, of =
>course, you do it.  But to suggest that opportunities like that are just =
>there for the taking is silly.

Geez Louise, Jim -- what are you, some sort of voice of reason or
something?  Don't you know that the team sucks, the coach sucks, and
the players suck?  Anyway, while I understand people's desire to win
now (nothing wrong with that at all) your point about his team moving
slowly is well taken.  Nobody wants to hear that, though: it's tough
sitting through year after year of mediocrity, but that's what we've
got.  But, instead of the quick fix or the big gamble, the waiting
game might be the best bet.  (D'oh -- I hate the waiting game!).  Of
course, if you've got the chance to acquire real talent, you need to
take it, but I don't see one coming down the pike anytime soon.

Often, this list's agenda is to attach blame.  (It's Pitno's fault!
No, it's the players' fault!  It's Waker's fault for jacking up the
three!  It's Pierce for lollygagging!)  The real answer is that _all_
of these things contribute to the mediocrity of the team.  Each and
every one of them -- though Walker's three point shooting isn't one
of them this year, imo.  The fact is, (uh oh, here it comes...) the
team is young (D'oh!) and the most likely way for them to get better
is to develop themselves, and that takes time.  Are you tired of
losing?  Me, too.  But, unless you're 6'10" or so, have mad
shotblocking skills, and are willing to move to Boston, there's
nothing you, me, or anyone else is really going to do about it.

>Look, Pitino was given another chance this year, and I'm willing to wait =
>and see what he does with it.  I want him to do it with this team, =
>basically, though.  If that doesn't work, bring in someone, preferably a =
>Celtic, and give them the draft picks.

Amen, brother.

Regards,

Bill
--
mailto:birdw@aloha.net
"If ye don't eat yer meat, ye can't have any pudding.