Interesting notes from Mitch Lawrence

Good stuff from ESPN's Mitch Lawrence today. He touches on Miami's struggles
without Mourning (they have Brian Grant, Eddie Jones, Anthony Mason and Tim
Hardaway, along with the best coach in the business, but they're lousy
without the big guy). We all should pay attention to that when talking about
how great our players would be for another coach. If the group Riley has
can't get it done for him, do you really think Toine, Pierce and the rest
could?

Also, he has a little more on the Pitino-to-Indiana U. rumor. Says a source
at IU tells him the school wants Pitino, and the job would be a good fit
because Pitino would be close to Lexington.

He quotes a person close to Kevin Garnett who says KG is starting to
understand what a losing battle he's fighting in Minnesota. This one bears
watching. If he demands a trade, would any team offer more than Toine,
Pierce and a first-rounder?

Says Kevin McHale may just call it quits and that he hasn't felt the same
about the game since Garnett's contract negotiations.

Says the Nets play faster and better without Van Horn, and the team should
trade him when he gets healthy.

Says Doc Rivers is getting a rude awakening (how true).

Here's the link:

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/lawrence/906872.html