Re: Pierce needs to sit

Jamey said exactly what I wanted to say.  Tommy Heinsohn has finally
brought to the forefront the problem with the Celtics, and it all comes
down to having young stars who are so talented that they were able to get
by without learning fundamentals in high school, and they barely had time
to learn fundamentals in their abbreviated college careers.  The other
half of the equation is a coach who - despite knowing what's wrong -
doesn't have the guts to sit his co-captains down when they don't follow
the most basic rules of winning basketball.

These players need to have fundamentals ingrained as habits so they don't
even think about them, they just see & do them.   What I mean by
fundamentals is things like getting back on defense CONSISTENTLY
fast, passing the ball upcourt fast on offense and quickly filling the
lanes
on the break, looking for the open man quickly EVERY time you're double-
teamed (and actually having an outlet in mind BEFORE you're double-teamed),
frequently making a fake or two when shooting, or even a fake pass
one way before passing the other way, calming yourself down before taking
a free throw, and  putting a body on someone when
rebounding.  Once these are ingrained as habits which they don't have to
think about, they'll be easily into the playoffs, then the players can
start thinking at the higher creative level that's needed to win
championships.

Until Pitino starts sitting players once they violate these basic rules,
the Celtics won't get to that level.  A few guys already "get it".
Adrian Griffin, Chris Herren and Randy Brown come to mind.  (Notice that
these are all guys who've missed a lot of games due to injury so far,
and were all effectively out of Sunday's game... so I still have hope
for much better team play when they're healthy).  Some others
seem to be coming around.  Tony Battie has been consistently good, and
at times outstanding (5 blocks in the first half last Wednesday), and was
the only one hustling on defense in the 2nd half of last week's horrible
loss to Philadelphia.  His rebounding has improved, although his blocking
out isn't consistent enough yet.  Still, he's showing effort and
improvement
in the fundamentals, which the co-captains aren't.

WHY ARE THEY THE CO-CAPTAINS??

Pitino needs to stop shouting what to do from the sidelines, which just
gets his players confused and hesitating, and let them play without saying
anything until he's pulled them off the court and told them what they did
that caused him to pull them from the game, and what he expects them to do
next time if they want to stay in the game.  Hey, if nothing else he'll
save his voice and feel a little less stressed to boot.

Jon Mc