Re: [Celtic_Pride] The Low Spark Of High Salaried Boys

wayray@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> However, it does point out what a horrible, and I mean horrible
> draft pick Moiso was. The next Coach/GM is not going to be too
> keen to take on many of Pitino's projects. My advice is to
> deal Mosio now and get something for him, before he totally
> washes out next season. Generally I don't advocate Pitino making
> any more deals, but in this case, I'll make an exception.
> I just don't see that great of an upside for Mosio, to worry about
> him coming back and hurting the Celtics. If Moiso turns out to
> be next Keon Clark, so what....
> Ray

I understand your perspective that we should cut our losses on Moiso, but
right now (after just 10 games or whatever) it is hard to say Pitino made a
horrible mistake in the draft. I wasn't enthusiastic about the pick either,
but on the face of it that criticism (which I'm sure a lot of people are
going to start making at Pitino and Moiso's expense) seems unfair.

10 Keyon Dooling- .391FG% .559FT%  4.8ppg 2.3apg
11 MOISO
12 Etan Thomas- IR zero games played to date
13 Courtney Alexander-.362FG% .571FT% 4.8 ppg 0.6 rpg
14 Mateen Cleaves- .467FG% .800FT% 6.7 ppg 2.7 apg
15 Jason Collier- .434FG% .778FT% 5.5 ppg  2.3 rpg
16 Hidayet Turkoglu- .389FG% .500FG% 2.1 ppg 1.3 rpg
17 Desmond Mason- .368FG% .800FT% 5.7 ppg 3.2 rpg

Historically (BTW, I loved Buddy Chew's post), the bottom third of the NBA
lottery really isn't that fruitful a place to be (Pierce and Kobe were kind
of flukes, whereas Moiso and Keon are more what you are likely to get). That
is why all the 35-40 win teams seem to tread water for years on end
(nothing, on the other hand, can excuse how much the Clippers organization
has sucked).

Next year's draft is the kind that periodically overthrows the power
structure of the NBA.  But all the factors need to coalesce, sort of like a
"perfect storm" (all three teenage centers Curry, Chandler and Ming need to
be a part of it, while the best of the freshmen class need to be
one-year-and-done with college). There was a lot of hype last summer about
Darius Miles, but neither he nor DeShawn Stevenson rated in the top three of
top NBA prospects in any review I read. The best ones chose college instead
of the pros, which I guess is rather unusual. Perfect storm brewing.

Happy Thanksgiving (not even a holiday here, obviously)

Joe

p.s. I don't know why I'm using the "perfect storm" analogy. Terrible movie
but I guess I like watching movies where actors try to speak with a New
England accent, or also I love movies where someone plays a Kennedy (which
is an accent unique to itself, although people associate it with our
region).

-----