Re: What Will Be Considered Pitino's Biggest Mistake?

> When Rick Pitino finally departs the premises and leaves
> the Celtics in hopefully much better hands, sometime
> between now and shortly after the season's end,
> what will be considered his biggest mistake?

Pitino's biggest mistake is thinking that he could make personnel
decisions.  He should have just let the Celtics hire the best GM on the
market, and coach the players.  His ego was his downfall.  He really
believed he could evaluate talent.

Now of course, let's do some comparison shopping.  Larry Brown.  I don't
know if he is the GM too or not, but they have been lucky to get a
player that I despise, but who brings his game all out every night,
Iverson.  Brown is kicking Pitinio's ass.  He can not get Walker and
Pierce to bring it every night.  Pierce, I think, is somewhat soft.
Walker can be the man, but he doesn't bring it every night.

Doc Rivers, last  year he worked miracles with some so so talent.  This
list thought he walked on water.  This year, he has upgraded with that
youngster from Toronto.  Hill is out hurt.  The net result.  As of
yesterday, they are 4-7 and are behind Boston in the standings.  What if
we had added McGrady and were playing like that?  I guess Doc doesn't
walk on water either.

So, Pitino may or may not suck as a pro coach.  He has won before in the
NBA when he had a center.  And the team sucked before he got there.  He
hasn't forgotten how to coach.  He is a good coach.  He sucks as a GM as
he does make the GM decisions.  He is not a good coach for this team.
Put him in LA, San Antonio, Utah, Portland, etc. and DO NOT let him make
personnel decisions, he might win the championship.  He needs to leave
Boston though.

Of course, now that I have said that, the Celtics will go on a big
streak just to prove us all wrong.  I would love to eat that humble pie!

--
R. Bentz Kirby
bocelts@usit.net