Re: [The Boston Celtics Mailing List Digest V7 #435]

Dan Forant wrote:

> I would rather see the Birdman as GM not coach. Coaching this team
> especially in it's present form would be a step down for the Legend.
>
> Dan

I'd like the Bird to take a shot at coaching someone with Antoine Walker's
skills. And Paul Pierce also.

As for this year's team, granted they've had a relatively easy schedule but
as bad as things have been (surviving a four game losing streak etc.) they
would still be in the playoffs if they started tomorrow. In fact not only are
the 4-5 Celtics ahead of Orlando, Charlotte and Milwaukee, but give them a
mini-winning streak and they could pass the following teams in the standings:

LA Flakers    6-4
Portland        6-5
Miami           5-5
New York    6-4

My point is that the Celtics and their fans shouldn't be down going into
hosting tonight's game against Philly. A lot of teams are struggling or
"suck" if you look at the big picture. There is no margin for error, but
Boston has the talent to deny Philly its 10-0 start. I hope the fans tonight
treat this like Boston-Philly circa 1979-85. I understand Jim Mennino is
attending the game.

Joe

p.s. Boy, Bryant Stith is making Ding Battie look like "Mr Consistency" or
something. He shot 1-7, 1-5, 1-4 and 2-6 in four of his last six games, and
13-19 (44 points) in the other two.

Also, Blount and Moiso have logged 73 minutes of playing time in 9 games, or
8.1 minutes per game combined. This may just be classic Spintino/Pitinocchio,
but as I recall one "would have been a lottery pick" and is the "best athlete
on the team", while the other is merely a "Paul Pierce level talent". In
general I think Pitino did Moiso a disservice with all that unnecessary and
out-of-place  hype (the only thing he shares in common with Pierce is age),
but basically Pitino is a positive reinforcement guy in public (to balance
all the shouting behind closed doors) and I think fans make fun of him for it
but that it isn't just a negative thing.

Poultrino sees a kid like Moiso who basically acts underconfident or outright
indifferent about making a mark in this league or even keeping up with others
in learning the playbook. He doesn't want to cut French Boy any extra slack,
but he doesn't want to beat him into a shell. In this case, a great private
workout or two in non-game situations cancelled out reams of game video
evidence easily available on this guy. He is the basketball equivalent of an
NFL Combine workout stud, like a Tebucky Jones, Dan Wilkerson, Jeff George,
Rick Mirer. Sometimes it works out though. But basically, Pitino was guilty
of hubris or overconfidence in his motivational and coaching ability, knowing
other coaching staffs hadn't gotten through to Moiso and the evidence that
nothing in Moiso's game resembles Paul Pierce's game (or Antoine's game).
Paul Pierce was a first team All American who was mature and productive game
after game. Antoine was a difference maker that helped turn a talented team
into a champion, something Moiso has never done despite apparently reminding
people of Bill Russell.

----