``That one's going to cost you.''

Referees file report on Walker: Celts captain will answer for outburst

Celtics Notebook/by Steve Bulpett
Monday, November 13, 2000

It is Monday morning, but Antoine Walker's Saturday night may not be over.
According to sources, officials from the game will file a report with the
league regarding Walker's verbal barrage immediately following the Celtics'
85-83 loss to the 76ers in Philadelphia.While the referees were said to not
be looking at it as a major transgression, the incident will be aired and the
Celtics co-captain could be assessed further penalties (he received a
technical foul with 4:42 left in the last period).Walker took off on referee
Mike Mathis regarding the end of game sequence as well as other calls the
Celtics believed were in error. Trailing by 11 with a minute remaining -
after having squandered an 11-point lead of their own against the Atlantic
Division leaders - the Celtics mounted a furious comeback, scoring 14 points
in the last 57.3 seconds. Paul P! ie! rce, who had 11 of those 14 and 26 for the
game, was fouled while hitting a 3-pointer with 5.8 on the clock. The hoop
got the Celts within two, so Pierce intentionally missed the free throw. He
got to the rebound, and the Celtics said he was then fouled. But there was no
call. After Vitaly Potapenko won a jump ball with 1.3 seconds left, Rick
Brunson missed an
off-balance shot at the buzzer. Walker began screaming at Mathis in generally
foul language. According to one source, ``It wasn't so much that he called
him a (expletive). But when he called him a (expletive)-ing cheater, that
crossed the line.''At a certain point during the tirade, Mathis looked back
at Walker and said, ``That one's going to cost you.''While Rick Pitino said
he believed the three officials - Mathis, Bernie Fryer and Jason Phillips -
had a very bad night, the coach added that his team allowed itself to get
taken out of its game by the calls.``They had a bad night,'' Pitino said of
the refs. ``We have many bad nights, so I ain't gonna pin it on them. We lost
the game. But a young team can't get frustrated with the whistle. Regardless
of what happens, you've just got to hang in there.''Walker chose to ignore
his on-court anger after the game, saying repeatedly the officials did not
cost the Celtics the game.`! `I! 'm an emotional ballplayer,'' Walker said.
``When I get out there, I play to win.''True enough, while the Celtics did
have reason to question some important calls, the fact they missed 11-of-27
free throws (they failed on 9-of-20 in the last quarter alone) added some
self infliction to the wound.

C's come two close

The Celtics, who took yesterday off, have now lost four straight after
opening the season with two wins. Making things even more frustrating, three
of the four defeats (at Cleveland and Philadelphia and against New York) have
come by just two points.``Well, I'm glad it's happened to us early instead of
late in the season,'' said Walker. ``We can't get discouraged. We have to
keep fighting and look at our mistakes. We've got to learn and stay mentally
tough.''The schedule is heavily in the Celts' favor over the next two weeks.
Six of their seven games are at home.``We have to get off this skid, go back
home and take care of business,'' Walker said. ``It's too early in the season
to get distracted or to get down. It's going to turn our way
eventually.``We've just got to learn. We can't continue to have breakdowns if
we want to be a playoff basketball team. That's three that we let slip away
early in the season within the firs! t ! six games. But the good thing is it's
only six games into the season.''

Moiso gets in sync

Jerome Moiso isn't necessarily pleased that he was placed on the injured list
with an allegedly sprained right ankle, but he understands where the move
came from. The rookie had seven turnovers and three points in 33 minutes over
four games.``I'm going to try to come back in shape first,'' said Moiso.
``And whatever I can pick up from practices and games, that's what I'm going
to have to do. I'm a little behind, and I have to use this time to catch
up.''When it was noted he looked out of sync of late, Moiso said, ``Well, I
can't really say I've ever been really in sync in the first place with the
team so far. It's still a little struggle right now. I guess I have to be out
there to really get going, but I have these five games now to catch up and
see what happens after that.''