Re: kenny info

Ken Kokubo wrote:

> Apparently he broke his jaw when he collided with Lamond Murray(?) in the
> last game. I remember him holding his face and thinking he got knocked in
> the nose or mouth. News said he could be out for a month. I want to see
> Herren play and I don't think Kenny is necessarily the best guard for this
> team, but would feel better about this upcoming 5th of the season if all 3
> PGs were available.

    This could be a kind of a blessing in disguise, to the degree that we'll
know more about Kenny v. Herren. The important thing is that Herren doesn't
put too much pressure on himself, and that's where a vet like Randy Brown
comes in. We also need the bench and swingmen to contribute more offense. It
should be fun to watch as an experiment, but I do think every early game
counts because we may need a five-games-over-.500 cushion going into the
Spring in order to make the playoffs (given the brutal late-season schedule).

    Rick Brunson, 28, is a 6-4 former Temple University star and a graduate of
Salem High School in Salem, Mass. He was waived by El Greaso two weeks ago.
Now El Pollo Loco will need Brunson to get back to the pressing and trapping
style he must be familiar with from college, where he averaged 2.5 steals, 6
boards, 16 points and over 4 assists in his senior year.

    After starring in the CBA and averaging 6.8 assists, Brunson has warmed
the bench for three veteran, winning teams in Portland, NY and Miami. His
career NBA numbers are 2.7 ppg and 1.8 assists in 11 minutes per game. He
sounds like a lousy shooter (career .592FT%, .362FG%).

    On the plus side, Brunson's had his career games against the Heat (12
assists in 1999) and the Fakers (19 points in 1988). Not coincidentally, he
also had his season-high game in minutes (31), points (9) and rebounds (5)
against the Celtics last year. The Brunson-burner is in all likelihood
probably just keeping the seat warm for Chris Herren. It is probably a ten-day
contract at most. The Celts have had a lot of rent-a-pointguards in the past
three seasons who have been cut or released. Quiz: can anyone name them all? I
can't even remember the name of the last guy we just cut.

    Tonight it is Alvin Williams versus Randy Brown. That's the key matchup
probably. I think there is also a presidential election...

***