Re: tough loss

At 11:09 PM 11/4/00 -0500, David Darlington wrote:

>Tough loss.

Tough indeed, since it wasn't so much Cleveland beating the C's as the
Celtics beating themselves.  The 1st quarter was exactly what I was afraid
of, yet Cleveland was in a similar funk the first couple of minutes.  Had
the Good Guys snapped out of it quickly and stayed competitive, we wouldn't
have needed the extraordinary effort later in the game.

To my view, Pierce should have played a few minuted in the 1st, then sat
out the game as soon as it became apparent how disjointed he was.  It's one
thing to "tough it out" but the guy IS recovering from multiple stab
wounds, and on the 2nd night of a back to back, it would have been wiser to
give him a needed break.  Hopefully the ill-advised playing time injured
neither body nor morale.

Free throws, free throws, free throws.  Do the C's remember why they're
called "free"?  You're supposed to make them.  Sigh.

The C's didn't use the outlet pass for the fast break much, because often,
the guy with the ball was ahead of the other 4 Celtics.  That's not going
to work so very well.  We need to run, especially now, when the other teams
aren't yet set in their defensive assignments.

Even though they still had problems, at the end, this was a game they could
have won.  The next step is to try avoiding those 17 and 22 point deficits
early in the game.  If we make these kinds of effort without getting in the
hole first, we might win games by 20+ points.  Then I wouldn't worry so
much about free throws.  Nah, I'd complain about that anyway.  :>)

Well, the first week of the season, we won two out of three.  Next weekend
we face another back-to-back/home-away set.  Let's root for the Green
Machine to do better!!

Next game is Tuesday at 7pm at Toronto.  Same Battie time, Same Battie Channel.

poof...
Snoopy the Celtics Beagle, who shoots free throws with either paw.