Re: impressions of the first game

Yeah, it was great that they won a game they should have, even though I
was ready to kill the tv because they looked like they could have been up
by 30 in the first half.  But then in the controlled chaos theory, you
have to play ugly to make your opponents play even uglier.  Thank you John
Wallace for single-handedly crippling Detroit for long stretches.  He
looked almost as clueless as Moiso.

Speaking of Moiso, who taught him to set a pick sideways?  He's so skinny,
it was like he disappeared.  He looks really uncomfortable out there so
far.

Anyway, despite ugly stretches, this was by far the best I've ever seen
Battie.  Hope he keeps it going.

Twon was exactly what we hoped for.  Couldn't ask for more from him.

Pierce was the old Twon, although I wouldn't expect less after what he's
been through this fall.  Hopefully he'll settle down.  He made amazing
plays, that he shouldn't have tried.  And he pulled the evil Twon/Kenny
act of dribbling up the court, making a lame move, then pulling up for a
jumper just inside the line.  But like Twon he's amazing, and I'm
confident he'll follow Twon's lead once he gets rid of some of the
stabbing media craze.

Didn't really notice Kenny, except sometimes Twon and company skipped him
and threw the ball up court for easy fastbreaks.  He shot lousy, too.  If
he had his normal touch, the win would have been even more lopsided.

Griffin got his usual loose balls, but seemed half a step too slow a few
times.  Hopefully he's not 100%.  Another 1/2 step healthier/quicker and
he's an amazing complementory player to Twon and Pierce.

Denver is inept for giving us Stith.  He shot well when he set himself,
but he missed a few when he drifted on his jump.  Still, nice defense and
fast break skills.  Same for Brown.

Williams tried hard, but mediocre results.  Still, he didn't really hurt
the team.  And he was playing some D.

Rebounding.  Why was it 4 on 1 so often, with only V or Batgirl going for
a board?  I blame Pitino on this one.  If Twon is supposed to be getting
back on defense, someone else should be crashing the boards.  Griffin did,
although he was outmatched at times, but
Stith/Williams/Moiso/Pierce/Walker were all running back on defense, or
fast breaking on offense.  SOMEONE has to rebound, and preferably more
than one.  It's not much more effective having 3 or 4 people running
immediately instead of 2.

Anyway, that's my take on the first game.  I'm not too excited other than
at least they didn't lose a game they should win, and they looked better
overall than they have in 3 years.  Other than that, I can't wait to see
how different they look tonight.  I hope the only differences are V,
Kenny's shot, Williams, and Moiso.  Everyone else can stay just like that
all season.  :)

-Jamey