Re: 1-0

I really liked this game for several reasons.  In the 1st quarter, they
really pushed the ball up the floor consistently, no doubt gladdening Tommy
Heinsohn's heart to no end--and mine too.  Nearly every time they went
inside, they got good results.

Previously, when they tried an up-tempo, inside game, they stopped as soon
as they had one trip with no score and went to the outside only.  I think
this is a very good sign.  When they started getting a tad lazy in the 4th,
and settling for outside jumpers, it was almost like they could hear Cousy
and Heinsohn saying "Go inside, THEN outside!", because the C's started
doing that as soon as they said it.

I liked the idea that Kenny Anderson saw what happens when Jerry Stackhouse
plays like Kenny did last year, and promptly started passing off the
ball.  Speaking of which, the Detroit coach is either desperate, or asleep
at the switch.  Anyone paying attention would have told Jerry to try firing
off an occasional pass to show he did, in fact, remember there were four
other guys out there who might be able to score, had they only received the
ball somewhere in the forecourt.

 From the start, Paul Pierce told the fans they were essential, and in the
4th quarter, when they realized that the C's were not going to do what they
did all last year and squander a double digit lead, they started making
noise.  For the first time in a long time, I saw the kind of intensity that
makes the Celtics great.  I actually heard guys snarling as they took down
a rebound, as if to say, "Not on MY court!".  I think the fans, surely
shell-shocked with the tortuous antics of the last few seasons, hardly
dared hope for this.

I think this was exactly the tone the team needed to set for opening night,
though they will surely face a tougher test against Toronto.  That's when
we get to see how serious the Celtics are about winning.

The teaming of Cousy and Heinsohn was refreshing, as Cooz seemed to have a
leveling effect on Tommy's tendency to make grand
pronouncements.  Conversely, Tommy seemed to encourage Cooz to be less
gloomy, though his cautious optimism is certainly understandable.

The commercials were easily dealt with after halftime, since I switched
channels to the West Wing during timeouts.

The last reason I liked this game is simple--WE WON!!!  YAY!! YYYEEEEOOOOOWW!!

poof...
Snoopy, the Celtics Beagle