RE: Houston, do we have a problem?

>"Thomas Murphy" whined:

>That's a pretty cheap shot (actually, several in succession).
>I really don't think you're being very fair here (yet again). That's a
>pretty low blow! ;?)
>...someone who just finished taking me to task...

Is this really necessary, Tom? I don't see why it is so "cheap" or "unfair"
to disagree with someone.

I'll explain the comments about Pierce, because I think you truly didn't
understand.  My contention is that single skill players are fine, and all
good teams have them.  But to be truly successful you build around a
versatile player.  If Antoine is traded, the closest thing they will have is
Paul Pierce.  I legitimately asked if your idea is to make it his team.  I
have to say that your examples of Indiana and Philadelphia don't exactly
thrill me.  Let's talk about teams that have at least been to the finals
once.  And, I don't even consider Houston to be the equal of Miller (in his
prime) or Iverson.  I can't think of one championship team that didn't have
a core player who was better rounded than Allen Houston (I think that sums
up what Joe was trying to say).  I understand your concerns about Antoine,
as you so shrewdly pointed out it's not as if I consider him a lock to make
the Celtic's great.  But I believe it's at least possible that he might,
whereas trading him for Allen Houston would mean mediocrity.  I'd rather
continue to suck until we get the player that makes the Celtics great than
fall into mediocrity.  They're already close to this happening, and the move
you propose would ensure it.  You're free to disagree with any of this, as
I'm sure you will, and don't worry, I won't take it personally if you do
(now I'm starting to sound like Dorine!).

Jim