Re: Houston, we have a problem?

Personally, I'm glad that this trade will never
happen.
I think the world of Allan Houston, and agree that he
is a real force in the NBA; as a shooting guard, I
would say he is better than Ray Allen or Paul Pierce,
and probably a better pure shooter than any 2 guard in
the league, now that Reggie Miller is in the twilight
of his career.  He's a real machine, but he's not the
kind of player you can build around the way you can
with Twon. Twon's passing is the key to all of this.
To me, the best part of the situation the Celtics have
is that we have a player like Houston, a solid,
clutch, money in the bank scorer for the closing
minutes of the game in Paul Pierce (who is much better
now than Houston was at this stage in his career.)
But as you say, you need to look at the big picture.
Twon is not in fact the guy you would pick for one on
one.  Houston is.  But Twon does all the other things
that make winning possible (when he is playing well.)
Houston is essentially a one-dimensional player, and I
would rather have a Versatile player Twon or Chris
Mullin or Tom Gugliotta than a functionary like a
World B. Free or an Allen Houston.  Add to this Twon's
undeniable scoring punch (he did once drop 49 points
on Chris Webber) and the fact that Houston is a
finished product while Twon is a work in progress, and
I think the trade would be a big mistake.  You can get
a good scoring guard in the draft (DerMarr Johnson,
Courtney Alexander, Corey Maggette, etc. etc.) but
talents like Twon are rare indeed, which is why Pitino
for all his fuming has never traded him.

=== message truncated ===