more irresponsible speculation

Looks like it may be a wild, wide-open off-season. Here's something else to
stir the pot until Aug 1st. Looks like the Knicks may be going down to the
Heat - that's gotta hurt. Wonder if they will be looking to re-tool over the
summer as well? They've made do with two SG for a season and a half and
right now they're getting killed on the glass. Perhaps they might be ready
to part with one for the right price.

How's this grab you: Allan Houston, Chris Childs, and John Wallace for Twon
and Kenny.

Some more player specifics: Houston (6-6 SG 29 yrs and team leading scorer,
contract expires in '03), Childs (6-3 PG 32 yrs contract expires in '02) and
Wallace (6-9 F 26 yrs contract expires in '02) for Antoine (6-9 PF 24 yrs
contract expires in '05) and Kenny (6-1 PG 29 yrs contract expires in '03).

Based on the contract figures from
http://www.charlotte.com/hornets/nbasalaries.htm (yes they are the numbers
for the season just completed, but we can expect that they will be roughly
the same proportionally - just add 10-12.5%) the salaries work out. KA
6,680k + Antoine 9mil = 15,680k for Houston 8mil + Childs 4,160k + Wallace
2mil = 14,160k. Walker is BYC so we can only accept back 75% of his salary,
so with the 15% rule and using these numbers we can accept up to 15,445mil
back. The 15% rule allows NY to accept up to 16,284k back.

NY gets a creative and offensively gifted point, we get a taller, better PG
defender who can do for us everything that Pitino has allowed Kenny to do.
NY gets a stud at PF (no doubt about it, he could REALLY blossom in that vet
environment) who can board, score and pass but who is a bit outta control
under Pitino. Boston gets Houston, a go-to guy at SG, a professional's
professional, a playoff veteran, and a scoring machine who led the Knick in
scoring despite having to play somewhat in the shadow of more "visible"
teammates.

Houston's stats are solid: 82 games started, .483 fg .436 3pts 19.7 ppg. His
acquisition would mandate moving Pierce back to SF (where he can block shots
and board, which I think would be best for all concerned). It would also
enable the Cs to re-sign Fortson, since they will be offering starters'
minutes (I can hear Pitino now - "it was like getting Fortson in the trade
too"). Boston's perimeter D would increase immeasurably with Childs, Houston
and Pierce as the 1, 2, and 3. While it would not address Boston's size at
PF and C it would allow a for more reasonable rotation that should foster
the continued development of V, Fort and Battie. (I still find it hard to
believe that Vitaly only averaged 2.5 minutes more a game than Eric Williams
last year!)

Wallace provides insurance at PF and joins a 2nd unit with Battie, Eric W,
AG and Barros. Also, Boston should have a bit of cap flexibility after '02
with Barros, Minor, Cheaney, McCarty, Childs, and Wallace coming off the
payroll (the first two in '01).

To sum up, this trade would net us a playoff veteran, still in the prime of
his career, who as the go-to guy would take some of the heat off our
youngsters. It would also address two of our other greatest needs - the
gaping hole at SF (truly our Achilles heal last year) and our porous
perimeter D. Shot blocking improves only a tad (with Pierce closer to the
hoop) and will continue to remain a team weakness - unless Battie finally
steps up (a la Camby).

Cheers -TomM