Misc.

Hi:

I have a couple of random points:

1)I don't see a basis to get so excited about the 7-2 Greek center "Tsak"
based on some Web site scouting report whose credibility is unclear. I'm
sure the Celts will make a far more informed decision on "Tsak" than any of
us could, but based on the information available we are talking about a guy
of indeterminate age (he may be older than Antoine) who this season hit
barely half his free throws, turned the ball over three times for every
assist, does not score (9.2ppg) or rebound(7.0ppg)particularly well etc.

2)The only thing Fizer and Kenyon Martin share as players is that they both
developed at a very slow rate before having dominant collegiate seasons this
past year. Martin has a chance to be a future All Defensive performer,
whereas Fizer has next to no chance. Martin (when healthy) can run and jump
whereas Fizer has all the hops of Antoine. Martin is a plus rebounder and
shotblocker, Fizer is an average rebounder (6 or 7 a game in college) and
not a shotblocker.

3)Those who suggest trading Antoine for a "traditional" power forward like
Fizer or Martin should bear in mind several things. One hard to overlook
fact is that both Fizer (6-7 or 6-8) and Martin (6-8) are shorter than
Antoine and also have a less solid natural frame. IMO, "traditional" young
power forwards of that calibre (12-16ppg, 9-11 rpg types like Jerome
Williams and Othella Harrington) couldn't help our team "get over the top"
any more than they've ever helped their present teams to win games. If you
blithely subtract Antoine from the mix by adding any of the above mentioned,
IMO you'd be moving the franchise more in the direction of the Bulls than
toward playoff contention. Dumping Antoine for any of the above legit
talents in addition to solving our center needs with big Tsak would make the
Celtics look on paper roughly equal in talent to the present Vancouver
Grizzlies MINUS Abdur Rahim. Compare rosters and think about it. That's just
not the way to go, if you ask me.

4) Although Antoine had some uneven games down the "playoff" stretch, his
stats over March and April (26 games) included a promising .495 on 2-point
FG attempts (180-364).

5) But what separates Antoine from "traditional" power forwards (in addition
to his continuing bad habits) is that he also led the Celtics over that
stretch in assists with 5.35 (Kenny was next at 4.96), steals with 1.96
(beating out Paul Pierce's 1.77, despite the fact that Pierce was good
enough to be 2nd overall in steals in the NBA last year) and naturally
rebounds with 8.81 (Fortson next at 8.0). It might be safe to say that
Antoine may have led all NBA forwards in steals and assists over that
closing stretch. In any case, they exceeded Webber or Garnett's season
averages. Sure Antoine didn't do it over the whole year (this is a
legitimate criticism), but he did put up unselfish, amazingly well-rounded,
highly productive numbers over by far the longest stretch of his career down
the stretch, plus (icing on the cake) he only turns 24 this August.

p.s. I've got to admit, though, that if Kenyon Martin were an inch or two
taller I would favor trading a lot to try to get him. When you are talking
specifically about a true shotblocking defensive intimidator, 6-8 really is
a bit below the cut-off point on the question of whether a player's
collegiate production can transfer to the much bigger, stronger, more
experienced NBA.

BTW, I really do think the Celtics can get a very good third scorer/athlete
with the 11th pick. I think there will be one or two future NBA stars picked
between 10 and 15.

Joe
(not my usual e-mail address)