Iakovos Tsakalidis

    The telebasket.com site also offers a scouting report on the 7-2
Greek starting center for AEK, which won the Greek and Saporta cups
(whatever they are) this season and are now in a semifinal league
playoff battle with the newly crowned 2000 Euro champions, Panathinaikos
(I think Dino and Dominique both played there). I found several articles
at Telebasket reporting Boston's intention to draft Tsak, but I found no
basis (at least from these articles) to make that claim sound credible.

    As for stats,  Tsakalidis shot 59.3% on FGs but a bit worse than
that on FTs. In 25 mpg he averaged 9.2ppg and 7.0rpg, including 2.6
offensive boards. I couldn't find stats on blocks per game or his
playing weight, both of which would be useful to know. There is some
dispute about his age (either 21 or 23), which is a big issue
considering his poor fundamentals from the line and in passing the ball
(a weak .6 assists per game and an even more unsightly one assist for
every three turnovers).

    On the one hand, 7-2 will always be 7-2 (or 218 cm if you prefer).
On the other hand, Frederick "Edel" Weis was also 7-2. Plus with a
clumsy nickname like "Tsak" you have to ask yourself "will Boston's
answer to Shaq be Tsak!?"

    I'm sure Boston will do a good job of scouting Tsak (like they did
with Ben Pepper <g>) but I'd hate for the Celts to spend a critical
draft choice strictly out of need on the next "Edelweis" type player,
considering that highschool players like Kobe Bryant have in the past
lasted past the 11th pick and this is potentially a very good draft for
prepsters. I do get the general impression that Chris Wallace is
following the highschool angle closely and I would be happy if the Celts
could land the McDonald's game sensation Darius Miles or the equally
athletic Gerald Wallace.

    Although I have not lost faith in Griffin (he led the team in
rebounds for half the freaking season before he got hurt, in addition to
being our most effective passer), I do think we need more scoring from
that position than Griffin, Cheaney and Waltah can regularly provide.
When your starting forwards (Cheaney/Griffin) are 6-5 and don't score
much, you have to regard it as a need position.

    Anyway, here is the Telebasket scouting report on Tsakalidis:

Iakovos Tsakalidis
Year of Birth: 1979
Height ft: 7' 2"

Georgian with a Greek citizenship, also known as Tsakalov. Started
playing in Greece, with AEK Athens, in 1996-97. Has always played with
AEK since.

Has great size, and a superb body structure. Big, strong, with long arms
and big hands. Runs the floor and has good mobility for a man of that
size.

An inside player with not so much range. Big, can post up and keep his
position, and has some back-to-the-basket moves, such as a jump hook.
Does not have a high post game yet. Excellent offensive rebounder.

An intimidator in the paint. At that size, and with that strength, he
rebounds well and blocks shots. Keeps his position, he's hard to move.
Still unexperienced, is foul prone and can be outplayed by  smarter
players.

Definitely one of the biggest prospects in Europe. Even if some says he
was actually born in 1977, no question this guy has a big future in
basketball. Few players have such a presence in the paint, probably non
of his age. He's going to be a European Top Level star, or he's going to
the NBA.

****