Re: Criticism

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000 damekmo@teleport.com wrote:

> Thanks "W". I thought so. I didn't think they were in any way established.
> That's why the New York press fell in love him. Young energetic coach
> taking young energetic players to the playoffs against all odds, blah,
> blah, blah...beating an "established" Celtics team....yes?

Nope, that came later.  In his first year, 1987-88, Pitino got the Knicks
in the first round of the playoffs where they lost to the Celtics, 1-3.

The next year they won the division (it was pretty weak), swept Philly in
the first round, then got clocked by Chicago in the second.

It was 1989-90 that the Celtics lost to the Knicks in the first round 3
games to 2. I think Stu Jackson was coaching at that point, but I'm not
100% sure...

Dan